Our jazz program gives interested campers a chance to explore their jazz education through full jazz ensembles, small combos, improvisation, theory/history classes, and private lessons. All of these classes, plus the performance opportunities available each week (and don’t forget informal jam sessions!), give our jazz players a chance to develop their own playing and their understanding of jazz styles & techniques.
- Lower Camp Jazz Band is open to all lower campers who would like to participate in a jazz ensemble.
- Lab Jazz Band is for upper camp instrumentalists with no prior jazz experience who are interested in getting a start in the jazz realm.
- Crimson Jazz Band is open to more advanced players who have better sight reading and improvisational skills.
- Small Combos (see below) are put together by level and work on reading & improvising on standard jazz tunes.
- Classes such as history, theory, improvisation, and arranging are available to all Upper Campers. Lower Campers experience theory and improvisation through lessons, musicianship, and Jazz Band.
There is no better way to learn Jazz than to play with your teacher in a small group setting. Our Combos are crucial to the development of young jazz musicians. Each camper gains experience taking solos and supporting and responding to other soloists. Combos rehearse daily and perform during the Combo Gala at the end of camp!