Pianists at Encore/Coda have an opportunity to develop their skills through piano classes, chamber music, small jazz combos, large jazz ensemble, performing in camper concerts, private lessons, theory, and history classes.
Studying piano at camp is especially worthwhile as pianists often make music by themselves–at Encore/Coda pianists are in a constant, supportive, and collaborative musical community. For some, it is the first time they will play music with other children their own age!
Lower Camp Piano
- Piano Workshop: perform for your classmates and learn specific piano skills!
- Piano Musicianship: learn music theory at the keyboard.
- Piano Duets/Trios: a requirement for LC pianists, in this class you will learn to sightread and play lots of chamber music with fellow campers!
- LC Rock Band and/or Jazz Band: optional bands to gain experience playing piano in a new setting.
Upper Camp Piano
- Piano Workshop: perform for your classmates and learn specific piano skills! Split into Classical and Jazz.
- Chamber Music: pianists are grouped with other pianists or instrumentalists, depending on skill. They rehearse everyday and have the option of taking Intensive Chamber, rehearsing 2 times a day.
- Piano Sightreading: focus on this crucial skill in a bi-weekly class!
- Accompaniment Class: work with a counselor soloist and learn collaborative skills.
- Rock Bands/Jazz Combos/Big Band: Pianists are encouraged to try playing in a rock or jazz band setting. Jazz pianists are required to be in combos, and our top players will get to play keys in the big jazz bands.